Today I thought I’d share a post about having a morning ritual. I have been inspired to write this post after a conversation I had with one of my coaching students Richard.
Richard recently went full time as an online marketer and like many (I know I did) he has been struggling to be really productive. Having gone from building his business in the evenings after work – to all of a sudden having all day to work on his business, he found he was very scattered in his approach and in fact, achieving less than when he was working part time! It may sound crazy, but it didn’t to me, because I have been there myself! :-/
What I found is that as a marketer, with the ability to work as and when I wanted, from where ever I wanted and with automated income, it was very easy to have a lack of structure to my day…
Always being tempted to put things off to later… because I could!
The problem being is that when that structure suddenly goes after quitting the day job, it can be very easy to fall into a bit of a lazy rut! Like I said, I know as I have been there!
So anyway, about 18 months ago after deciding to work on a new business (The SFM) I knew for me to be able to find the time (without going back to 11 hour days) I would need to seriously focus on my productivity. So I invested in a productivity coach…
Simply put, making that decision is one of the best things I ever did! I went from days with very little structure, to days where I was getting more done in a few hours, than what I was getting previously in a whole day!
I found that my energy was far higher and my attitude to getting work done improved ten-fold. Oh, and I even get out of bet at 7am now – rather than 11am lol!
If you have followed me for some time, you’ll know that at the beginning of the year I shared some videos to help you with getting more productive… And they went down like a treat – the feedback I got even surprised me as I thought at the time – it was just me that needed help – but that was far from the case!
So this leads me onto my tips. One of the first things I worked on in my day was my morning rituals. Starting the day on the right foot with the right frame of mind sets you right up for a productive and profit pulling day!
I found that with almost all of my students they often, like I did start the day with nothing but either unorganized chaos. Or just sheer laziness. Very few people create any form of routine.
I have also found that this is even more important for people with kids… So don’t let that be an excuse NOT to have one!!!
Anyway, I thought I would share with you my personal rituals as you may get some ideas from them. Remember, after creating this consistent plan to start my day, my productivity went through the roof and so will yours!
- Wake up 7am. I don’t hit the snooze button. I jump out of bed as if someone threw a bucket of cold water on me. Remember, half of your day’s success is actually showing up and being excited. Rest time is over, get out of bed now!
- I down a pint of water first thing before anything else. (If you don’t like water on its own, squeeze some fresh lime into it) Water is great for you – you know that! And I find I am soooo much more alert after it. So don’t start with coffee!!!
- I brush my teeth and tongue. I lose the morning breath and use a strong mouth wash Start off on a minty note! Particularly if you suffer from halitosis lol
- I eat my porridge and have my one coffee of the day! For me, I like to get out the house for breakfast. So off I go to starbucks for this one, and it ties in nicely with my next part of the morning! In fact I am writing this in starbucks now!!
- Go out and take in the sunlight. I wake up when I see sunlight. Its energy, invigoration and to be honest pretty amazing if you actually take the time to enjoy it! Get out and spend a few minutes outside looking up in the sky taking in the morning light. Wrap up warm if it’s cold (no excuses), but make sure you do it. I actually cycle with my dogs for an hour…And I love it!
- I spend time in silence. Don’t jump to put on the TV, news or radio. Be grateful for what you have. Mentally or on paper, plan the day out (I often do this at breakfast). Write out your to-do list and focus on money getting activities!!!.
- I Drink green tea. I now, instead of drinking more coffee, have a cup of green tea. It boosts my energy, provides antioxidants and has been promoted as a great natural healthy option. Try to avoid the caffeine fix from regular tea and coffee! Trust me it soon wears off!
- I write a journal. A list of rituals without journaling in the morning isn’t complete. I find it the most exhilarating thing to be sitting down for a short period and just writing out whatever comes to my head, no matter whether it immediately makes sense to me or not. I use an app on my iphone too called teux deux. That way if I have no paper I have no excuse not to jot things down!
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this post and it helps you to thinks about your morning rituals!
I’d love to hear your thoughts, feedback and ideas!
To your success!
PS. You can watch some of my morning rituals here!!
PPS. Don’t forget to leave thoughts, feedback and any ideas!